Beginner’s guide to NFTs III: What are Meebits?
Hello, and welcome back to another article of our series “Beginner’s guide to NFTs”.
But, before we start, you should know that I also publish other crypto-related articles, which you can see on my profile, but for now, you only need to read these three articles, since they will get you into a better context in which to grasp the topic.
The articles you will need:
- Beginners Guide to Blockchain Part V: What is an NFT?
- Beginners Guide to Blockchain IX: Crypto Dictionary (other terms you need to know).
- Beginners Guide to Blockchain Part III: What is Ethereum?
Now that we are ready, let's get right into it.
What are Meebits
Meebits are a collection of 20,000 distinct 3D voxel NFT characters generated by a custom generating algorithm and recorded on the Ethereum blockchain.
A voxel is a unit that represents a point in three-dimensional space. A pixel (picture element) tells a location in two dimensions with its X and Y coordinates, it requires a third z coordinate.
Why are they so popular?
The hype surrounding these items has been quite strong, not just because they are rare and very cool, but also because the designer of these items created another set of NFTs called Crypto Punks, another super famous NFT collection.
They can also be used as a picture or avatar on any social media platform, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and others. You also get the Meebit’s 3D model, which can be loaded into 3D modeling software, you can animate your Meebit to make any moves you want or even use it inside the metaverse.
- Just after its launch in May of 2021, it quickly rose to the top of the list of the world's most notable projects.
- Crypto punks and Meebits were made by the same group called Larva Labs, they were later bought by the creator of the Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT, Yuga Labs.
- It had the quickest start of any NFT, selling thousands of virtual items and reaching sales of about $100 million on the first day of existence so… it has a good shot of becoming one of the top NFTs of all time based on these results.
This was my article about Meebits, so if you have a couple of ETH to spare you could run and get your own.
If you would like to hear more crypto-related stuff, make sure to follow @bychrispace on Twitter and on pretty much all other social media.