Beginner’s guide to NFTs IV: What is the Mutant Ape Yacht Club?
Hello and welcome back to a new article in our series “Beginner’s guide to NFTs”
In today's article, we will talk bout another trendy NFT collection called Mutant Ape Yacht Club (MAYC), that's a cool name.
But before we start I would like you to visit my profile and take a look at the other crypto-related articles I write, but for now, you’ll only need these 3 articles to have a wider context and better understand the topic.
You can find them here:
- Beginners Guide to Blockchain Part V: What is an NFT?
- Beginner’s guide to NFTs I: What are Bored Apes?
- Beginners Guide to Blockchain Part III: What is Ethereum?
Now that we are ready, let's get right into it.
What are Mutant Apes?
In a few words: the Mutant Ape Yatch Club is an NFT collection inside the blockchain with around 20,000 Mutant apes, they are an extension of the very popular Bored Ape Yatch Club (BAYC).
Each Mutant Ape is created from an existing Bored Ape, it has the same features as the original, but with mutant variants.
They come in a huge variety of shapes and forms, some have cheese looking gold fur , some of them are zombies and a many other bizzare things.
But uniqueness is not the only thing that makes this NFT collection special…
Why are they special?
Apart from the rarity of the Mutant Apes, the collection’s exclusive community access, and the unique membership advantages, what makes the MAYC unique is that 10,000 of these NFTs were created by “exposing” their Bored Ape to a “Mutant Serum” and turning them into mutants, the current BAYC NFT holders were airdropped said serum.
The ones that remained, were sold in a public auction.
While MAYC was primarily intended to reward current BAYC holders, the initiative also aimed to welcome newcomers to the established BAYC community.
These NFTs were so popular that the first 10,000 auctioned Mutant Apes raised 96 million only an hour after their launch
- There are 3 types of mutant serums, each one of them rarer than the other, the most common one is the M1 with 7,500 the M2 with 2,492 and the M3 with only 8.
- They were also one of the first collections to offer a free and fully new NFT to an existing community of holders.
- During the mutation process that develops the Mutant Ape, the holder’s original Bored Ape is not changed or affected in any way.
So yeah, this is my article about MAYC, I hope you liked it.
If you would like to hear more crypto-related stuff, make sure to follow @bychrispace on Twitter and on pretty much all other social media.